In Year 7, 8 and 9 students are taught in single sex groups with some mixed ability and some set groups.
The range and content of the curriculum encompasses of:
- Use a range of tactics and strategies to overcome opponents in direct competition through team and individual game (for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounder’s, rugby and tennis).
- Develop their technique and improve their performance in other competitive sports (for example athletics and gymnastics).
- Perform dances using advance techniques in a range of dance styles and forms.
- Take part in outdoor and adventurous activities which present intellectual and physical challenges and be encouraged to work in a team, building on trust and developing skills to solve problems, either individually or as a group.
- Analyse their performances compared to previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
- Take part in competitive sports and activities outside school through community links or sports clubs.
Students will learn about the statements listed above by completing units of work in Gymnastics, Games (invasion, net and wall, striking) and Athletic Activities. They have two one hour lessons a week. At the end of each eight hour module they will be given an attainment level and a progress grade.