Mathematics Faculty

mathsMathematics Year 7 
Students follow the Key Stage 3 Mathematics framework. The programmes of study cover the National Curriculum areas of Number and Algebra, Geometry and Measures and Handling Data. There is an emphasis on using and applying maths in each of these areas.

Students are encouraged to develop their mathematical and thinking skills through a variety of activities and learning approaches. These include demonstration, illustration, dialogue, problem solving and the use of ICT. Students are regularly engaged in oral and mental work.

Assessment is through questioning, written work and formal tests in November, February and June. Students are taught in ability groups which are regularly reviewed. Parents are informed when changes are made.

Mathematics Year 8 
Students follow the Key Stage 3 Mathematics framework. The programmes of study cover the National Curriculum areas of Number and Algebra, Shape, Space and Measures and Handling Data. Opportunities for Using and Applying Mathematics are included in each of these areas. Students are encouraged to develop their mathematical and thinking skills through a variety of activities and learning approaches. These include demonstration, illustration, dialogue and the use of ICT. Students are regularly engaged in oral and mental work. All students will also participate in the Crystal Maze problem solving activities in July. Assessment is through questioning, written work and formal tests in February and June. Students are taught in ability groups which are regularly reviewed. Parents are informed when changes are made.

Mathematics Year 9 
Students follow the Key Stage 3 Mathematics framework. The programmes of study cover the National Curriculum areas of Number and Algebra, Shape, Space and Measures and Handling Data. Opportunities for Using and Applying Mathematics are included in each of these areas. Students are encouraged to develop their mathematical and thinking skills through a variety of activities and learning approaches. These include demonstration, illustration, dialogue and the use of ICT. Students are regularly engaged in oral and mental work. Assessment is through questioning, written work, formal tests in December and Key Stage 3 Tests in May. Students are taught in ability groups which are regularly reviewed. Parents are informed when changes are made.

Mathematics Year 10:

Students follow a programme of study to prepare for Edexcel GCSE Mathematics. The Mathematics GCSE covers the national curriculum areas of Number and Algebra, Geometry and Measures and Handling Data. Students will practise examination papers and past questions throughout the two years as well as having regular assessments in order to assess progress and help students develop their thinking skills and application of knowledge. The examinations will consist of two examinations in June of Year 11, one non-calculator and one where a calculator is allowed. Students are taught in target groups and are entered for the final examination at the tier we believe they will achieve the highest possible grade.

Mathematics/Further Mathematics GCSEs (Set A*) Year 10:

Students follow a programme of study to prepare for Edexcel GCSE Mathematics and a Further Mathematics GCSE. The mathematics GCSE covers the national curriculum areas of Number and Algebra, Shape, Space and Measure and Handling Data. The Further Maths concentrates on those areas which are essential for further study in Mathematics at AS and beyond. There is no coursework for GCSE Maths or Additional Maths. Students will practise examination papers and past questions throughout the two years as well as having regular assessments in order to assess progress and help students develop their thinking skills and application of knowledge.  The examinations for Maths will consist of 2 examinations in June of Year 11, one non-calculator and one where a calculator is allowed. The Further Maths will be assessed through a final examination in Year 11. Students are taught in target groups and are entered for the examination at which we believe they will achieve the highest possible grade.

Mathematics (Modular) Year 11 (summer 2013 only):

Students follow a programme of study to prepare for AQA Modular Mathematics. The Mathematics GCSE covers the national curriculum areas of Number and Algebra, Shape, Space and Measures and Handling Data. Students will practise examination papers and past questions throughout the two years as well as having regular assessments in order to access progress and help students develop their thinking skills and application of knowledge. The examinations will consist of an examination in November of Year 10 based on Number and Algebra (worth 33% of final grade). Also in Year 10 there will be an examination in March based on Handling Data (worth 27% of final grade). The final module, which will be sat in Year 11, is based on Number and Algebra as well as Shape, Space and Measure (worth 40% of final grade). There is no coursework for GCSE Maths. Students are taught in target groups and are entered for each examination at the tier we believe they will achieve the highest possible grade.

Mathematics (Linear) Year 11 (Sept 2013 onwards):

Students follow a programme of study to prepare for Edexcel Linear Mathematics. The Mathematics GCSE covers the national curriculum areas of Number and Algebra, Shape, Space and Measure and Handling Data. There is no coursework for GCSE Mathematics. Students will practice examination papers and past questions throughout the two years as well as having regular assessments in order to access progress and help students develop their thinking skills and application of knowledge. The final examination for GCSE Mathematics will consist of two papers each worth 50%. Students are taught in target groups and are entered for the examination at which we believe they will achieve the highest possible grade.

Mathematics: AS Level Year 12:

Students follow a programme of study to prepare for Edexcel AS modules Core 1 and 2 and Statistics 1. The core modules cover Pure Mathematics, which includes algebraic techniques, trigonometry, sequences and series and basic calculus. Statistics includes data presentation and analysis, probability and the Normal Distribution. Lessons usually involve interactive teaching and practice in relevant techniques. Homework and study outside lessons are essential to fully develop each new skill. The final examination consists of one paper for each module, each worth 1/3 of the final grade.

Mathematics: Year 12 GCSE

Students follow a programme of study to prepare for AQA Modular GCSE Mathematics. The course is made up of three modules. There is no coursework required. The first module is taken in November and is worth 27% of the final marks. This covers calculation of averages, using statistical diagrams and probability. The second module exam, worth 33%, is taken in March. This covers number work such as fractions, decimals, percentages and properties of numbers. The final examination, taken in June, is worth 40% of the marks. This covers Algebra and Shape and Space, such as angles, coordinates, equations, graphs and trigonometry. Lessons focus on the teaching and practice of key concepts required to improve on previous GCSE grades.

Mathematics: A2 Year 13

Students follow a programme of study to prepare for Edexcel A2 modules Core 3 and 4 and Mechanics 1. Core (Pure) Mathematics covers algebraic techniques, calculus, coordinate geometry of curves and circles, vectors and advanced trigonometry. Mechanics 1 includes the study of the motion of particles, forces and vectors and the stability of 2-D shapes and systems. Lessons usually involve interactive teaching and practice in relevant techniques. Homework and study outside lessons are essential to fully develop each new skill. The final examination consists of one paper for each module, which are equally weighted and when combined with the AS modules from Year 12 these make up the final A Level grade.