Preparing students for life beyond school is a crucial aspect of Sixth Form life at St Bart’s.
Within our Sixth Form programmes of study, the following options give our students the opportunity to develop plans for the future and foster the skills that they will need to be successful in their lives after school.
- Access to highly qualified careers professionals from ‘Adviza’ on site. Students can arrange as many Careers meetings as they need to develop future plans.
- Opportunities to take five days of work experience, not necessarily consecutively and not necessarily at the same place, in the course of Y12.
- An introductory programme of talks in our ‘Employability’ strand.
- Participation in a Young Enterprise Day, involving all Y12s and run by representatives from the local business community.
- Opportunity to take part in Young Enterprise – weekly participation in an Enterprise programme, fully supported by a Business/Economics teacher.
- Opportunities to support and mentor younger students.
- Opportunities to provide in-class support for lessons in Ys 7-11.
- Opportunities to lead activities and initiatives within the school as School Officers and Subject Reps
- Opportunities to spend time out of school each week, gaining work experience or volunteering with local organisations.
- Visit to a UCAS Convention in the Spring of Y12 and further opportunities to participate in university open days.
- Access to the highly sophisticated Unifrog software that enables students to research university and apprenticeship opportunities
What happens to our students?
The vast majority of our students apply to university and there is a huge range of expertise within the school to support these applications. Increasingly, students are also alert to non-university options and many students pursue opportunities to secure apprenticeships with advice and guidance from the school.
Since 2013, 862 students have secured places at over 70 different UK universities. Approximately 50% of these are at Russell Group universities. Some students have also secured places at universities in the Netherlands and in the USA. On average, just short of 150 students secure university places each year. There is a huge amount of expertise and experience within the school to ensure that students are successful in their pursuit of competitive university places. All applications are carefully checked by experienced members of staff and all students receive one-to-one advice to help complete their Personal Statements
In 2013-18, among the most popular university destinations for St Bart’s students have been:
Bath, Bath Spa, Bournemouth, Bristol, Cardiff, Exeter, Loughborough, Southampton, UWE, Winchester.
What about Oxbridge?
As our Sixth Form becomes more successful and the aspirations of our students grow, a growing number of students are making applications to Oxbridge and more students are now successful in securing places at Oxford and Cambridge as well as on highly competitive courses like Medicine and Veterinary Medicine. Students are fully supported by experienced members of staff throughout the process and are given opportunities to complete practice interviews both within and outside school.
In 2013-2018, St Bart’s students have secured places at Oxford or Cambridge on the following courses.
English Language & Literature
Human, Social and Political Sciences
Law and French
Law with German Law
Natural Sciences (x2)
Philosophy, Politics and Economics
In 2013-18, St Bart’s students have secured highly competitive places on Medicine degree courses at the following universities:
Brighton & Sussex Medical School
Imperial College, London (x3)
King’s College, London (x2)
University College, London