Here at St Bartholomew’s we are committed to developing the skills, talents and knowledge of all our students. We also believe that personalised attention and an aspirational curriculum are key to stretching and accelerating the learning of the most Able to ensure they make greater than expected progress.
Able: Students whose abilities are well developed and who are ahead of their peer group, achieving mean CAT scores that are above 130 or Non-Verbal CAT scores above 130.
Gifted: Students who have abilities in traditional academic subjects, such as English, Mathematics and Science.
Talented: Students who have abilities in creative and expressive subjects, such as Art, Drama and PE.
At St Bartholomew’s it is our aim to ensure the provision of opportunities inside and outside of the classroom boosts the attainment, motivation and self-confidence of Able, Gifted and Talented students. We provide this in a number of ways:
- Differentiated lessons to stretch and challenge.
- Differentiated independent study.
- A range of leadership opportunities for students in Years 7 to 13 such as mentoring, prefects and house captains.
- Inter-house and inter-school competitions (e.g. chess club, house sport, debating)
- Educational visits and trips to broaden experience (e.g. Oxford University Taster Day, The Scholar’s Program).
Maths: UKMT Maths Challenge (All years), Royal Institution Mathematics Masterclasses (year 9)
English: Carnegie shadowing (KS3), Lit Quiz (KS3)
Science and Technology: AWE Challenge (year 9 and 13), Biology Challenge (Year 10 and 11), Chemistry and Physics Olympiad (Year 12 and 13)