Students access Personalised Learning when additional educational needs are identified through a range of tracking data and formal assessments.
Key Stage 3
- Literacy catch up sessions – these are designed to help pupils accelerate and catch up on key phonic and literacy skills. A number of different programmes are delivered and are tailored to meet the specific needs of the students.
- Toe by Toe – Teaches reading through learning the sounds of phonemes are taught through nonsense words. Then the skills are applied to multisyllabic words.
- Acceleread / Accelewrite – Uses text to speech software to improve reading, writing, spelling and listening skills of pupils who are experiencing literacy difficulties. This is achieved through structured phonics exercises over a recommended period of time.
- Word Wasp – A structured programme based on phonics and those rules which govern English. Our texts rely on teaching the 43 sounds/rules that form the structure of our language.
- Literacy Catch Up – structured one to one intervention for learners who find reading difficult. It addresses all aspects of the reading process: word recognition and language comprehension.
- Hickey Programme – a comprehensive, systematic and cumulative approach to improving reading, writing and spelling. The Hickey Programme encourages a self generating therapy in the learner.
- Handwriting Recovery – structured programme to develop joined, cursive script in order to increase the speed of handwriting, improve legibility and fluency. It is ideal for correcting poor handwriting habits and encourages an automatic response to frequently used spelling choices.
- Maths Intervention – Power of 2 is ideal for anyone who benefits from repeated maths practice. They will benefit from clear language and repetition. Teaching begins with number bonds to 10, and then moves on to introducing doubling, halving, addition and subtraction, rounding numbers, multiplying and dividing. It then introduces fractions and looks at worded problems and time. It covers all the aspects of mental maths needed for the National Numeracy Strategy.
- Functional English – Some students in Key Stage 3 take additional literacy lessons in order to improve their key written and reading skills. These sessions are based on the Level 1 and 2 Functional Skills qualifications. The skills learnt support both the requirements of literacy across the curriculum and also life skills literacy.
- In class support – one to one to small group support given in class in order to support specific difficulties identified by formal assessments. The support helps the pupils access the curriculum by modifying and differentiating the curriculum, by encouraging social inclusion and developing independent learning.
- Additional homework support – a club that operates four lunchtimes a week. It is open to any student who would like adult support to complete homework. Internet and other educational resources are available in this club.
Key Stage 4 / 5
- In class support – one to one to small group support given in class in order to support specific difficulties identified by formal assessments. The support helps the students access the curriculum by modifying and differentiating the curriculum, by encouraging social inclusion and developing independent learning.
- One to one lesson reinforcement / pre-learning – one to one support out of class in order to support specific difficulties identified by formal assessments. The support helps reinforce concepts and vocabulary needed for class study. Revision, catch up sessions and coursework support are provided.
- Access Arrangements – Formal assessments that determine whether a student requires additional support in controlled assessments and public exams. Assessments from external agents, tracking of progress, previous educational history and staff referrals inform the assessment needs.
SEND Information Report/Local Offer 2018-19
SEN – Guidance
|SEND CONTACT DETAILS|
Mrs J Hale (SENCO) – Jhale@stbarts.co.uk,
Mrs J Wheeler (Deputy SENCO) – email@example.com
Tel: 01635 521255